mainline kernel integration?
Tomasz Chmielewski
2007-10-18 20:23:13 UTC

I was wondering if you guys are working with the upstream wireless
developers to get the drivers which are not present in the mainline kernel?
Like prism2_usb etc.?

If there is not enough man power, perhaps people from Linux Driver
Project[1] could help?

[1] http://linuxdriverproject.org
--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org
Solomon Peachy
2007-10-18 21:43:34 UTC
Post by Tomasz Chmielewski
I was wondering if you guys are working with the upstream wireless
developers to get the drivers which are not present in the mainline kernel?
Like prism2_usb etc.?
The basic problem is that in order to make linux-wlan-ng (or even just
prism2_usb) suitable for kernel inclusion, so much work is involved
that it would actually be less work to write a new driver from
scratch (or add prism2_usb support to the in-kernel hostap/prism2
driver)

The same reason is why there's no WPA support in linux-wlan-ng.

I'd love to see prism2_usb support go into the mainline kernel, but it's
not something I personally have the time to work on. If someone else
wants to take up the torch, I'll provide what assistance I can.

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy ***@linux-wlan.com
AbsoluteValue Systems http://www.linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934 +1 (321) 259-0286 (fax)
Tomasz Chmielewski
2007-10-19 18:12:06 UTC
Post by Solomon Peachy
Post by Tomasz Chmielewski
I was wondering if you guys are working with the upstream wireless
developers to get the drivers which are not present in the mainline kernel?
Like prism2_usb etc.?
The basic problem is that in order to make linux-wlan-ng (or even just
prism2_usb) suitable for kernel inclusion, so much work is involved
that it would actually be less work to write a new driver from
scratch (or add prism2_usb support to the in-kernel hostap/prism2
driver)
The same reason is why there's no WPA support in linux-wlan-ng.
I'd love to see prism2_usb support go into the mainline kernel, but it's
not something I personally have the time to work on. If someone else
wants to take up the torch, I'll provide what assistance I can.
I asked the guys from the Linux Driver Project, and it seems like
someone would like to pick it up:

http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-October/000192.html

Do you by chance have any spare devices?
--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org
Pavel Roskin
2007-10-20 06:21:57 UTC

Post by Tomasz Chmielewski
Do you by chance have any spare devices?
I've just offered my D-Link DWL-122 on that list.
--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin