Configure fix
Pavel Roskin
2008-07-29 02:04:44 UTC
Hello!

Just to preempt possible questions, my fix for the Configure script was
wrong. I assumed that scripts/make.opts was missing from the
repository, but it turns out that it should be generated by the kernel
build system. It works for kernels configured in the source tree, but
but fails for kernels configured in a separate directory:

/home/proski/src/lwlan/scripts/Makefile.get_options:7: warning:
overriding commands for target `get_version_target'
Makefile:24: warning: ignoring old commands for target
`get_version_target'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `get_version_target'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [get_options] Error 2
./Configure: line 246: scripts/make.opts: No such file or directory

So I guess a better fix would be to fix the existing code if it's
fixable. But I cannot think of anything that would not be very
intrusive and likely to break. Unfortunately, the build system tries to
extract several variables from the kernel, such as CROSS_COMPILE, so
changing the build system could break some existing setups that depend
on it.
--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin
Solomon Peachy
2008-08-12 13:11:06 UTC
Post by Pavel Roskin
So I guess a better fix would be to fix the existing code if it's
fixable. But I cannot think of anything that would not be very
intrusive and likely to break. Unfortunately, the build system tries to
extract several variables from the kernel, such as CROSS_COMPILE, so
changing the build system could break some existing setups that depend
on it.
I think all that matters now are KERNEL_RELEASE and
CROSS_COMPILE. We use kbuild to do the actual module builds, so most of
the stuff there is no longer necessary.

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy ***@linux-wlan.com
AbsoluteValue Systems http://www.linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934 +1 (321) 259-0286 (fax)
Pavel Roskin
2008-08-12 20:10:37 UTC
Post by Solomon Peachy
Post by Pavel Roskin
So I guess a better fix would be to fix the existing code if it's
fixable. But I cannot think of anything that would not be very
intrusive and likely to break. Unfortunately, the build system tries to
extract several variables from the kernel, such as CROSS_COMPILE, so
changing the build system could break some existing setups that depend
on it.
I think all that matters now are KERNEL_RELEASE and
CROSS_COMPILE. We use kbuild to do the actual module builds, so most of
the stuff there is no longer necessary.
OK, I'll be back on August 26, but I'll have tons of stuff to do.
I'll try to have another look, but please feel free to beat me at that
:-)

The whole redirection mechanism in out-of-the-tree builds is quite
complex, so it's not surprising that it doesn't work when the makefile
is included from our makefile.
--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin